Oh winter. So much for 1-2” of snow today… we’re waaaaay past that weatherman.
You know that snuggled-up feeling of being stuck in the house, watching the snow fall…. but then add some soup, not just any old soup, this Broccoli Cheesy-Cheddar Soup… with bacon crumbles.. AND dipping toast (so not an afterthought)…. My oh my, what a treat.
The over-whelming pile of broccoli stalks in my freezer promoted this recipe. Get them out of here! Waste not, want not…right? But for real, who likes the stalks (not raising my hand). All joking aside, this is the recipe to use the whole thing.
This recipe is simple and it’s cheeeeesy. Ya, you need a boat load of cheese. Real, cheesy-cheese. Pretty sure my soul is made of cheese. A block of cheese last no longer than a day in this house, because I eat it like candy and Michael never gets any, ha!
AND TOP WITH BACON. You can’t miss this step.
And for the dipping toast, just slice a baguette (you know, with a fancy angle), top with garlic powder & cheese, then broil.
This recipe is simple and it’s cheeeeesy. Ya, you need a boat load of cheese. Real, cheesy-cheese.
- 2 lbs. Broccoli
- 4 cloves Garlic, diced
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 small Russet Potato, diced
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 8 oz. sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz. Colby Jack, shredded
- 2 tbs. Butter
- Cut off broccoli florets and cube the stems.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add the broccoli, onion, and garlic, stirring frequently until the onions have softened and turned translucent.
- Add milk, chicken stock, and potato and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cook until broccoli and potato are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, or working in batches with a countertop blender, blend the soup while slowly adding shredded cheeses.
- Serve immediately.