This chicken pot pie is both comfort and sophistication in a pan, packed with protein and veggies, with an addicting flaky crust. DID I SAY FLAKY?
- 2 lbs. Chicken Breast
- 4 oz. Bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 2 Leeks, sliced thin
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head Garlic, roasted
- ¾ cup Cream
- ¾ cup Chicken Stock
- 3 tbs. Flour
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 2 pieces Puffed Pastry
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet, season with Salt & Pepper. Cut the top off the head of Garlic, exposing the top of all the cloves. Pour some Olive Oil over the cut side of the Garlic and wrap it in tin foil. Place on the baking sheet with the Chicken and roast for about 30-40 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through, set aside to cool, then shred.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the Bacon to the pan. Cook stirring occasionally until the bacon is cooked. Remove the bacon and set aside. Pour out all but about two tablespoons of the bacon grease. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms, cooking until golden brown. Add the sliced leeks and swiss chard, season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted and beginning to brown. Squeeze in the roasted garlic and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle in the flour, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the cream, stock, shredded chicken, and thyme, stir and scrape the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat when the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place one sheet of puffed pastry on a lightly floured surface, roll out to fit a 12” cast iron skillet. Let the pastry slump into the skillet lifting the edges to remove all air bubbles. Roll out the second puffed pastry large enough to cover the top. Pour the filling into into the the pan, spreading it out evenly. Lay the top piece of pastry on, folding edges under the bottom pastry, and crimp together. Brush whisked egg all over the top and score. Place in oven and cook until the top is golden brown about 20-25 minutes.