This Pesto Kale Pizza makes me feel a little bit better about eating “pizza” with handfuls of fresh basil, kale and mushrooms. …yes, that’s bacon and mozzarella, but it can’t be a pizza party without.
- 1 bunch Kale, stems removed, chopped
- ½ cup Pecans
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbs. Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 store bough Pizza Dough
- 4 oz. Bacon, cut into 1 inch squares
- 8 oz. Mozzarella, sliced thick
- 3 oz. Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2-3 leaves Kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tbs. Olive Oil
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine Kale, Pecans, Garlic, and Lemon Juice. Pulse until Kale is finely chopped, 10 – 12 times.
- Scrape down sides. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in Olive Oil, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- In a medium size skillet, cook the Bacon over medium heat. Cook it a little less than you normally would because it will continue cooking while in the oven. Drain the Bacon and set aside.
- Add Olive Oil to a 10 inch cast iron pan, roll and stretch out dough to fill the bottom of the pan. Cover the top of the dough with an even layer of Pesto. Arrange the sliced Mozzarella on top of the Pesto. Sprinkle on the Mushrooms and Bacon.
- Place the Pizza in the oven and bake until the top is bubbly and the bottom is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the chopped Kale to the top and place it back in the oven for about 3-5 minutes to crisp up the Kale.
- Cut into six pieces and serve immediately.