A grilled cheese sammy packed with spinach, onions, Havarti cheese (one of my favs) with a sidecar of roasted red pepper dipping sauce!
- Sourdough Loaf, sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 4 cups Spinach
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 lbs. Havarti Cheese
- Butter, for spreading on bread
- Olive Oil
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 16oz. jar Roasted Red Peppers, drained
- ¼ Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tbs. Parsley
- 2 tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 tbs. Capers
- Salt & Pepper
- In a blender combine red peppers, onion, garlic, parsley, olive oil, and capers. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt & pepper, then set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat 1 tbs. Olive oil over medium-high heat, add sliced onions. Stirring occasionally, to prevent burning, cook until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes, season with salt & pepper, then set aside.
- In same skillet, turn heat down to medium and add 1 tbs. Olive oil. Add garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach. Saute until wilted and all liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Butter one side of your slices of bread. Put one slice, butter-side down, in the pan. Layer slices of cheese, some sauteed spinach and caramelized onions, add additional slices of cheese, top with the other piece of bread. Cook until each side is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Cut your sandwich on a diagonal and serve with a side of the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce for dipping and enjoy!