Veggie and cheese packed stuffed squash.
- 2 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 8 oz. Spinach
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 lbs. Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 1 15 oz. can Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 8 oz. Mozzarella, shredded
- Olive Oil, for brushing
- Basil leaves to top
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Carefully cut Squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and loose flesh. Brush cut side all over with Olive Oil and season with Salt & Pepper. Arrange the 4 halves, cut-side down on a baking sheet and roast until Squash is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Once roasted, let the squash rest until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casing on sausage and add to skillet making sure to break up as it cooks. Once the sausage has browned and cooked through, 5-10 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Pour off all but about a tablespoon of fat from pan, reduce heat to medium, and add the diced Onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add the Garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the Spinach, a few handfuls at a time, stirring until wilted, continue until all Spinach has been added. Add the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Scoop the squash from the skin and add to the simmering sauce mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Divide the stuffing evenly between the four skins. Place on a baking sheet and top with the Mozzarella. Broil until the cheese has melted and started to develop brown spots. Top with Basil leaves and serve warm.